I’m SO super excited to share this stevia syrup recipe with you, AND to introduce a cool new weekly feature here at Gwen’s Nest called Trim Healthy Tuesday! If you’ve missed my other posts about Trim Healthy Mama…my MOST FAVORITEST food book EVER…head over here and check out my Trim Healthy Mama book review.
So, my kitchen, my diet, and my body have had a fantabulous makeover, and I’m just not going back. Like, ever. So, my recipes section is also getting a makeover, and I’ll be posting a new Trim & Healthy recipe every Tuesday…and I want you to join me! I’m teaming up with Stacy over at Stacy Makes Cents to bring you this awesome resource: Trim Healthy Tuesday Link Up.
So in honor of our VERY FIRST EVER Trim Healthy Tuesday, I bring you this stevia syrup recipe. Check out Stacy’s Trim Healthy recipe post today as well…Peanut Butter Chocomole!
Lets get down to it, but keep reading below the printable to find out more about Trim Healthy Tuesdays and how you can participate in the awesomeness. You won’t want to miss it!
Stevia Syrup Recipe
I needed a sugar free pancake syrup recipe…but I’m not into Splenda. So to be more specific, I wanted a stevia syrup recipe. I mean, we love our sugar free berry syrup and all, but some folks around here are creatures of habit and really, really wanted ‘real’ pancake syrup on their Saturday morning low carb pancakes. Let’s do it!
Now, this stevia syrup recipe isn’t going to fool anyone into thinking it’s maple syrup or even Mrs. Butterworths. For you die hard real maple syrup fans, this is not a maple syrup clone.
But this DOES make a really lovely sub for pancake syrup, and has some wonderful qualities all on its own. Flavor wise, this pancake syrup is going to be more of the store bought variety…there is no way that it was really going to taste exactly like maple syrup, so I went to the other end of the spectrum and rounded out the maple flavor with a bit of orange and butterscotch.
Which leads me to the next essential quality of this pancake syrup recipe: it has cling power. It doesn’t soak in quickly and make your pancakes all soggy like normal syrup does. That’s thanks to this great stuff:
Glucomannan. I love this stuff.
OK…now for the best part. Or the weirdest part. It’s not sticky. That’s the dead giveaway that it’s not ‘real’ syrup. All of us Mamas who have little girls with long hair can rejoice together. It’s not sticky!!!
So, let’s make some stevia syrup! You’ll need:
Water, stevia extract or the sweetener of your choice, glucomannan powder, Frontier maple flavoring, orange essential oil or extract, butterscotch (or caramel or butter) extract, and a pinch or two of salt. You can find all of the flavorings and the gluccie in my new Trim & Healthy Amazon store!
Basically, you heat all of the ingredients into a nice syrupy consistency, and serve warm or cold. That’s it! Easiest stevia syrup recipe ever! And you’re in the drivers seat with the flavor combinations here.
Here is your printable stevia syrup recipe…enjoy!
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Maple extract (I like Frontier brand)
- ½ tsp. butterscotch flavoring (or butter, or caramel...your pick)
- 2 drops NOW orange essential oil, or ⅛th tsp. orange extract
- ⅛th tsp salt
- ¼ tsp stevia extract or your favorite sweetener to taste
- ½ to 1 tsp glucomannan powder
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the glucomannan into a medium saucepan.
- Once everything is stirred in together, sprinkle the glucomannan lightly over the surface of the syrup, and whisk to incorporate.
- Taste and adjust the flavors (the gluccie tends to subdue the flavors somewhat), and turn the heat up to medium.
- Let your syrup come to a simmer, and thicken.
- It will thicken up a bit more when cooled/chilled. We like ours on the thinner side, and it still doesn't make pancake mush. If you like a thicker syrup, use a little more gluccie, up to 1 tsp.
- Serve warm or cold with a big stack of my low carb pancake recipe!
So, lets talk JUST a minute about Trim Healthy Tuesday, which officially starts next week:
What is Trim & Healthy Tuesday?
It’s a great way to link up with other bloggers and readers who are excited about living the Trim & Healthy lifestyle outlined in the book Trim Healthy Mama!
How can I participate in the Trim Healthy Tuesday Link Up?
Anyone who is into Trim & Healthy eating can visit with us weekly, and pin or share the awesome collections of great tips, recipes, and more! If you blog, and would like to play along, write a Trim Healthy Mama recipe, kitchen tip, share your THM weekly menu, or exercise option on your blog. Then come on over to either host blog: Stacy Makes Cents or Gwen’s Nest and share your link each Tuesday. Use your own photo or use our Trim Healthy Tuesday button on your post. Your link will show up on BOTH hosting sites for maximum exposure! Please see the posting guidelines below.
Featured Recipes EACH Week!
Every Tuesday, Gwen and Stacy will each choose 3 of their favorite recipes from the prior week and they will be featured for Trim Healthy Tuesday. We’ll also highlight the link that received the most clicks from the previous week, along with our own Trim & Healthy kitchen tip, recipe, how-to, exercise advice or menu. Don’t miss it!
Guidelines for Linked Posts:
- Accepted post topics will be: Trim Healthy Mama related recipes, kitchen tips, weekly menu, ‘how to’ articles, or exercise tips, and MODEST before and after photos may be attached to any of the above. Please do not link personal progress reports or non-THM recipes.
- You may post links from YOUR blog to recipes that are Trim Healthy Mama friendly. They can be S (satisfying), E (energizing), FP (Fuel Pull), or Crossovers. Please note which of these categories your recipe falls under. Nutrition information for your recipe is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Please respect the copyright of the book, and do not post recipes from the Trim, Healthy Mama book on your blog. You MAY post recipes that you’ve changed up to make your own, but nothing verbatim from the book.
- Please link your post back to one of the hosting blogs above: Gwen’s Nest or Stacy Makes Cents. Your link will show up on both blogs!
- Please post no more than 3 links each week.
- Post new links from your blog each week – do not post the same link each week.
- Recipes that do not fall under the THM guidelines, personal progress reports, or reposts from previous weeks will be considered Spam and will be deleted.
- You may include recipes with “Splenda” and other similar products or foods that are considered “compromise foods”, but please note that in the recipe, and either make them optional or offer substitutions for on plan items if possible. Please do not use ingredients that are off plan…like white potatoes.
- No giveaways or advertising-only type posts are allowed. You may post about cookbooks that you like and you may include affiliate links, but the post MUST be THM friendly. Example – posting about an eCookbook that you like is acceptable when telling how it can help with THM. Posting about a cookbook just so you can sell it is NOT acceptable.
- For help with determining where your recipes fall, visit my THM Quick Start Guide.