Second, this is awesome…if you have never tasted roasted garlic, then you’re majorly missing out. Just like fresh onions are a totally different experience than caramelized onions…garlic also goes through a major flavor transformation in the oven. It mellows into a rich, sweet flavor when it’s roasted. It’s milder than garlic bread, and with none of the caustic burn that you find in fresh diced garlic that you’d come across in salsa.
Third, and most important: this is totally easy to make. We all love it.
I usually make this for a main dish with veggies on the side (like you see above), but I make enough leftovers to slice up and serve over a salad the next day. Or you can serve it over rice, over pasta with white sauce, on sandwich rolls…and if you love the flavor of roasted garlic, the extras are fantastic spread on garlic bread or in blended into homemade salad dressing.
It’s a very versatile player on the ‘planned over’ menu.
Here’s what you’ll need:
If you only have the jar of pre-chopped garlic, then I highly recommend waiting until you have some real (fresh) cloves. It’s just not the same.
The jars of garlic are the eunuchs of the spice world. They’re so pathetic, that I can’t even look them in the eye any more.
Let’s get cookin’…
Put your chicken breasts into a 9×13 baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Flip, repeat with salt and pepper, and load up with peeled garlic cloves.
Cover with foil, and pop it into a 400* oven for 20 minutes.
Remove foil, and sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley. The parsley adds a nice bit of color, and tames back the garlic flavor a bit. They are a nice pair in baked dishes, I think.
I wish you could smell how yummy this is. You could really add in some other flavors if you wanted to. I think sun dried tomatoes or olives would be yummy, and top it with feta cheese and some of the Greek spice mix.
Hope you enjoy this quick garlic chicken recipe. As always, here is your printable.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil (or 2 Tbs. for a low fat/Fuel Pull version)
- 40* garlic cloves peeled (or less...I just peel until I get bored :)
- 1 t. dry parsley or 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- drizzle with oil and arrange in a single layer in a 9 x 13 inch dish.
- Scatter garlic cloves over chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil or a glass lid.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and continue to bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer until golden brown.
Step by step photo tutorial of this garlic chicken recipe are found here at: http://www.gwens-nest.com/family-favorite-recipes/garlic-chicken-recipe